Before we start talking about our main topic, let’s think about the monumental role smartphones play in our life. According to Statista, the total number of smartphone users around the world hit 2.53 billion this year. Just think about this insane number!
There’s a main reason why we can’t imagine our life without smartphones. We all love them for being functional and making our life fun and simpler. But most of all we love them аs they allow us to use apps. These little helpers for all occasions absolutely changed the way of usual computing. There are apps for all tastes, and they are highly accessible.
Now when we understand the crucial role apps play, let’s get back to the main topic.
Unfortunately, a golden formula doesn’t exist. Basically, it completely depends on you. What features are important for you? What design do you like? Do you need it for Android, iOS, or both?
By the way, take a look at this list of Top App Design Companies.
Here are some of the ingredients that can go in your app. Choose wisely!
First and foremost, you have to choose a platform. Basically, there a several choices: cross-platform or native app.
Native apps are written using a single language and used for a single platform. Consequently, an app written in Swift/Objective-C will be used on iOS devices. And if your app is written in Kotlin/Java, it’ll be used on Android devices. Usually, apps of this type are more reliable and faster in terms of performance. Additionally, they’re capable of getting access a camera or phonebook. However, the costs can be higher.
Imagine not only the visual part of your app. App design is also responsible for how your app works, for how it feels like. In its turn, various factors are implied during app development design, including UI/UX, icons, logos, visual design and so on. Let’s look at them more closely.
- Icon. This design element is the first thing people will see. You shouldn’t underestimate it. It’s the most important design element as it’s the icon that acts as a recognizable symbol.
- UX design. UX is focused on various aspects of the UX, such as fun, efficiency, and pleasure. Put simply, it’s all about how it works.
- The Visual part of your design. As the proverb goes, “People buy with their eyes.” The more beautiful design your app has, the longer people would like to stay and buy your product. Nevertheless, be ready to spend a large sum of money if you want to hire a professional team of designers with extensive experience and beautiful portfolio.
Now when you chose the platform and have found a team of designers, it’s time to get into the nitty-gritty detail. Based on what functionality your app has, can significantly vary the sum you’ll need to pay.
- I want a simple app. This category is for you if you need an app with one simple function. In this case, it won’t be capable of storing information on a smartphone or server.
- I want an app with a database/API. Imagine, you have an ecommerce business. A potential customer will need to register and sign in before making purchases. What happens under the hood? Everything will be stored in the remote servers.
- I want a multi-featured app. This is your category if you want a multi-functional app with an outstanding UI.
Moreover, you’re free to add some other features to your basic functionality.
- Login via social networks. Thanks to this feature, your clients will be able to login in your app using their social medias including Facebook, Instagram and so on.
- Push notification. This is a great way to keep your clients informed about the latest news/changes.
- Data synchronization across multiple devices. This one will be very helpful if people will be using your app both on their desktop and smartphones.
- In-app purchases. This feature is a must-need for e-commerce. Besides, this can also be used for monetization as you’ll be able to offer various products, services and so on.
As bitter as it may sound, but you’ll have to leave some money for testing and additional maintenance. People want your app to function in a certain way without bugs or improper behavior.
By testing your app, you make sure everything works properly with no lags and glitches. Moreover, apps should be regularly maintained and updated to the latest version in order to function on the recent operating systems.
Developers to Choose
Every aspect described above is related to your business. Based on your business needs, you’ll choose a platform, find a design team, and determine the necessary features. And it’s only one side of a coin.
However, there’s another one. And this relates to whom you’re going to hire. Basically, there are 3 ways:
- Freelancers. Since the Internet is full of freelancers services, this is the cheapest way. Alongside with affordable price, you must be ready to take certain risks. If a freelancer turns out to be unskilled, disorganized or feckless, you might end up wasting your money.
- Small Agencies. First of all, agencies are a great choice as they provide a team for your project development. As a result, you may be sure in the further testing and maintenance. However, super complex apps are not for this category as they may need thousands of people working on it.
- Big Agency. This is the best choice as large agencies provide a full stack of development with highly professional and skilled team. Again, if you have some kind of an ultra-difficult/complex app, this is the only option for you. Nonetheless, the biggest drawback of this option is its insane price.
The Bottom Line
Let’s sum it up. Mobile application development is a long and complicated process. There are various aspects that may influence the development costs. One of the possible ways to find out more or less exact price is to present your app idea to developers and get an estimate.
In comparison, according to Clutch survey, the average price can start from $30 000 to $700 000.
Here’s what 2017 VDC Research Survey reports, “Enterprise app developers found mobile apps to cost an average of $140,000 each.”
As you can see, developing an app will cost you a pretty penny. However, don’t get discouraged, because we are here :) We implemented various ideas of people throughout the world for a significantly lower price.
Recently, we made both an Android and iOS app for a platform that combines some of the best features from the world’s leading music streaming services.
We also developed a personal alarm app Knightly that would provide safety to college students when they need it the most