Table of Contents
What kind of a music streaming app is PYRO Music?
A platform combining some of the best features from the world’s leading music streaming services, PYRO Music is a music streaming app which is born to give a generation of Chinese not only access to the biggest record labels and DJs around the world but also enable you to change your listening experience, create and share your style of Electronic Dance Music. With PYRO Music, you can discover new music in HQ formats, and shape your sound to share with your friends and followers.
- Specifics and uniqueness of the Chinese IT industry — from the Great Firewall to the cultural differences of the target audience.
- Major code refactoring and infrastructure optimization. We had to improve the platform’s overall performance and make it equally accessible to all Chinese users.
- All-encompassing redesign, including the PYRO Music website, music streaming apps, and the admin panel.
- Find the right balance between cost-effectiveness and performance of the available services.
On the way to solution
It’s no revelation that the best way to understand certain things is to experience them yourself. Following this point, our team visited China to see all the technicalities from within.
In a nutshell, the knowledge we gained and the practices we learned during the little time spent in this magnificent Asian country have been truly invaluable.
There is no exaggeration saying that neither dedicated forums nor even hundreds of google translated manuals could have given us the full picture of how specific and unique the Chinese IT industry is.
However much information the Internet can offer you about The Golden Shield, a.k.a. The Great Firewall of China, it’s just the tip of the iceberg.
There is much more to consider when developing a project for the Chinese audience. For example, there are some issues with routing within China. Overall, we had a unique cultural experience and could meet and spend time with many interesting people.
Upon arriving back home, we got down to the full code refactoring of PYRO Music. Luckily, previous developers left informative how-tos that gave us better insights into some technical aspects of the project. We greatly simplified the code, making it simpler, better structured, and easier to build new functionality.
After that, we proceeded to implement more drastic improvements. Here is a quick list:
- We moved PYRO DNS to dnspod.cn, i.e., simplified DNS resolving for all the users within China;
- The project infrastructure was assembled entirely on Aliyun;
- Solr full-text search engine was replaced with Elasticsearch;
- Caching was configured correctly, so there are no more stutters when browsing the website;
- Pjax was dropped in favor of using Turbolinks. The interface is as fast as ever!
- Finally, we completely redesigned PYRO services (its website and mobile applications) and built the admin panel from scratch.
- We’ve implemented monetization via China-based services: WeChat Pay and AliPay.
- Successfully survived high load when PYRO Music conducted the PYRO Top100 China DJs event last August.
Our improvements have brought PYRO several significant steps closer to becoming a consummate global-scale music streaming app, leaving its Chinese competitors far behind. Further, with all its uniqueness and scale, the project has also significantly impacted our team. Based on the knowledge gained both in China and throughout the development, we were able to refine our working approaches to increase the quality of deliverables.
- Ruby 2.5.0;
- Ruby on Rails 5.2.0;
- REST API;
- Haml / BEM / Sass;
- Elasticsearch and PostgreSQL;
- Leaflet with BaiduMaps.
With that said, it’s time for you, our dear reader, to download the PYRO Music app, check out all the goodies we’ve implemented, and enjoy the vibes of genuine electronic music!
Android app: https://sj.qq.com/appdetail/cn.pyromusic.pyro
JetRuby Agency has been recognized as one of the top Top App Developers In San Francisco by Design Rush.